For those of you who would like to enjoy a cannoli on the lighter side, or are like me and can't digest fried foods, here is a great alternative: Baked Cannolis!
Cannolis are originally Sicilian and mean little tubes. Traditionally these pastries are filled with a creamy ricotta filling.
Here is a recipe to make your own healthier cannolis.
1tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 fluid oz vegetable oil
1/2 fluid oz vinegar
3-4 fluid oz Marsala or other fortified wine
- Mix dry ingredients together and rub in the oil.
- Mix vinegar and marsala and stir into dry mixture. The dough will be firm and dry.
- Form the dough into a rough rectangle and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Flour the dough and roll it out through a pasta machine to a 1/4 inch thickness. Pass through machine about 15 times to achieve smooth texture.
- Rest dough again for 1 hour.
- Whip ricotta and sugar will light and fluffy.
- Whip in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stir in the chocolate and orange peel.
Dust with sprinkled sugar or melted chocolate.