Aaah what is better than a delicious ravioli in vodka sauce? Answer: One with just as good of a taste but with far less calories! That's right.. you can have your pasta and eat it too with this recipe.
It's bad enough that ravioli on it's own has a lot of calories from carbs and a lot of times fat found in cheese, but you don't need to add a heart clogging Vodka sauce to make it taste good. My husband loves ravioli in vodka sauce, so I found a ravioli filled with lobster instead of cheese and decided to make my own vodka sauce with the following recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small shallots, minced (or one large onion)
- 1/2 cup white wine * (although the alcohol will be cooked off, I preferred using a lighter alcohol so as not to impart such a strong taste to the sauce)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup non fat milk
- Melt butter in a pan and cook flour shallots/onions and garlic in it till onions slightly caramelize.
- Gradually add little amounts of milk to the flour mixture till it thickens. (You're making a bechamel here.) Do this with the remaining milk, then add the tomato paste, chicken stock, and wine gradually.
Note: if you find that your sauce is too runny or not thickening anymore, stop adding liquids and/or add a little amount of flour to it until the right consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss with your cooked Ravioli and enjoy! Guiltless!