They are like pop overs but the cheese won't actually let them pop over..
These beauties are backed right in a muffin pan, no liners necessary.. Make these right before party time so they are still warm when you dig into them. Guests will love them, even if they aren't rooting for Steelers. (Recipe yields about 15-18)
6 eggs (warmed to room temperature)
3 1/2 cups milk (warmed to the touch)
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 cups shredded Assiago cheese (or any other cheese you like)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Mix all dry together.
- Whip eggs at high speed till very fluffy and pale in color.
- Reduce speed to low, gradually add milk in a stream.
- Add dry ingredients and cheese.
- Let batter rest for 1 hour.
- Heavily pam or oil a Muffin tin. Fill cavities all the way to the brim.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce temperature down to 375, then bake for 30 minutes till golden.Enjoy warm!
This dough freezes well and can be warmed slightly in a microwave.